This year, UC will celebrate Te Wiki o te Reo Māori – Māori Language Week over two weeks, from 4 to 15 Hōngongoi – July. The theme is ‘Ākina te Reo’ – behind you all the way, which is about using te reo Māori to support people, to inspire and to cheer on.
Te Wiki o te Reo Māori is an opportunity to embrace te reo and build your bicultural competence and confidence. A range of activities will be happening across campus over the next two weeks. View the full Te Wiki programme here.
How to get involved
- Pick up a Free UC Te Reo resource pack. These are available for all staff and students to collect from Monday 4 July. Visit the Māori Development Team Reception, Level Two, Te Ao Mārama building, Arts Road.
- Find out what’s happening on campus and attend Te Wiki o te Reo Māori events.
- Check out the new online LEARN page that provides te reo resources and support.
- Listen to the new sound files on the Ngā Ingoa Māori i Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha webpage. Here you can learn key role and unit names at UC, and how to pronounce them in te reo Māori.
- Keep an eye on UC’s Facebook and Twitter for words and phrases.
- Download Te Wiki resources.
Start this week and use the words you learn in everyday conversation on an ongoing basis.
Kia kaha e hoa mā!