Maybe you don’t like the gym, or the gym is closed (like the RecCentre is closed this weekend for a couple of days), or you are away on holiday. Here are some cheap and free ways to keep exercising, staying on track for your health and wellness goals.
1. Seek out free trial passes or classes
Many gyms offer a free trial pass, either for a day or a week in most cases. Simply do a google search for free gym trials Christchurch, and see what comes up. In our quick search we found Les Mills (1 day), Snap Fitness (3 days), Jetts (5 days), Anytime Fitness (7 days) and F45 (14 days). If you have a friend who has a CityFitness Black membership , you can tag along on their free guest access benefit. Yoga studios, such as Apollo, Flow and Grassroots also offer discounted 2 week trials for first timers (usually in the region of $25-30 for 2 weeks – keep in mind a single class is usually ~$18).
Do remember that these gyms have full sales teams, so do expect to be added to their database and be called for years to come! Also, don’t forget that the RecCentre closes for a full 2 weeks at Christmas every year, so you may want to keep the 2 week pass to F45 until later in the year!
2. Experience the great outdoors
There are some excellent walking tracks and stairs around Canterbury, so get out amongst it!
Check out the Christchurch & Canterbury website for inspiration! The sunlight is good for your bones and overall wellness, boosting the happy hormones.
3. Do a home workout
There are some great online sites and apps that can guide you through safe exercise routines. Look for accredited/qualified practitioners. Some that we recommend are:
- Yogaholics – 14 day free trial, and then it’s AUD$12.95 per month for unlimited access. There is a range of yoga styles, teachers and durations to choose from. It’s relatively new, so not as many options, but enough to see you through!
- Yogaglo – 15 day free trial, and then it’s USD$18 per month. It is more expensive, but you do get over 3,500 classes to choose from, and a bigger range of teachers.
- Crunch Live – 10 day free trial, and then USD$9.99 per month. 85+ workouts at different levels and durations. Choose from cardio kickbox, BAT style, yoga and dance style classes.