Campus Transformation – building names

Kia ora,

With the campus transformation programme nearing completion, a number of new buildings have now been officially named by UC Council and some existing buildings have been renamed to comply with approved naming conventions including the use of first name last name for buildings named after alumni or other VIPs. The Council’s approach is to find a balance between honouring significant alumni and contributors to the University, while continuing to progress the cultural narrative across campus.

The science precinct that will feature the new RRSIC building at its centre will eventually comprise six buildings. The names approved for these are:

RRSIC Stage 1 – Ernest Rutherford
Named for our most significant Alumnus – Nobel Laureate and “father of the atom”.

RRSIC Stage 2 (von Haast ) – Beatrice Tinsley
Named for a renowned UC Alumna – a leading scientist and astrophysicist.

SBS building 1 (Biology) – Pūtaiao Koiora
The Te reo translation for science-biology. Bestowed by Ta Tipene during the blessing of the building on 8 June 2010.

SBS building 2 (old Zoology) – Julius von Haast
A naming that continues to honour a Canterbury College Lecturer and renowned geologist who explored Canterbury and became Curator of Canterbury Museum.

Rutherford – West
Indicating the geographical location of this building on campus, pending consideration of its long term future.

Erskine – Jack Erskine
Named for the renowned UC Alumnus and Rutherford’s contemporary, who established the Erskine Programme as a legacy at UC.

Names approved for other buildings and projects are:

Former Commerce building – Rehua
Named for the bright summer star associated with wellness and continuing the astral theme of the cultural narrative introduced through Matariki and Puaka-James Hight.

UCSA building – Haere-roa
Mana whenua gifted name meaning ‘longest stream’ or “the long wanderer’ to indicate a place that welcomes, supports and hosts people.

New Dovedale student accommodation – Hayashi
Hayashi means ‘woods’ in Japanese. Four blocks in the townhouse community are named for Japanese birds: Kakkou, Kiji, Tsumi and Mozu and one for Viera Beattie, a UC Alumna who left a generous legacy to UC.

Electrical Link – Link
The final building in the Engineering refurbishment to be re-occupied with a new name reflecting occupation by two departments: Electrical and Chemical and Process Engineering.

Locke – Elsie Locke
Named for UC Hon Doc Litt. A writer, historian and renowned activist in the peace and feminist movements in New Zealand.

Logie – James Logie
Named for Canterbury College Registrar 1950-1956 after whom the James Logie Memorial Collection is named.

You will begin to see these new names appear around campus as we celebrate the final stages of our campus transformation and work through further building enhancements over time.

Dr Rod Carr
Vice-Chancellor| Tumu Whakarae