NZ Sign Language Introductory Courses

NZ Sign Language Introductory Courses cover finger-spelling alphabet and basic phrases, numbers, some university specific vocabulary and basic grammar. No previous NZSL experience is required and the course is open to both students and staff.

Classes will be held each Thursday of term 1 from 12noon to 12.50pm in the Puaka-James Hight building. The dates are 22 Feb, 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 March.  Handouts are provided, there is no structured homework though practicing signs between classes is encouraged to enhance your learning. 

For the course to run in term 1 there needs to be a minimum of 10 participants. Courses will be offered in terms 2, 3, and 4 most likely on the same day and time and provided there are at least 10 attendees. Please email me if you’d like to register for the term 1 course, and I will send you a payment form (the cost is $60).

Here is some feedback from a previous course:

During term 3 I was fortunate enough to learn sign language through a course offered by the University. I signed up to this course because I think as an official New Zealand language it is something we should all know the basics in. My speech and hearing is something I take for granted every day and learning sign language gave me a greater appreciation for the abilities that I have, as well as allowing me to communicate with the deaf community. I definitely intend on continuing to learn sign language, to extend my conversational skills and to continue learning about deaf culture. Sign language is a transferable skill across study, work and our day to day lives. I encourage you all to consider taking this course next time it is offered, you will learn how to sign common phrases, ask questions and master basic conversations. 

Nicola McDonald
Disability Resource Advisor
nicola.mcdonald@canterbury.ac.nz