Congratulations Shanee Barraclough

Graduation is a time of celebration around campus for UC’s students – some of whom are also members of staff.

We congratulate Lecturer / Coordinator of Counsellor Education Shanee Barraclough, who is graduating with her PhD (Education), why she chose to embark on study at UC.

Q: What motivated you to embark on this course of study?
I had previously worked as a Psychologist for fifteen years before becoming interested in Counsellor Education at UC.

I initially worked as a Clinical Educator in both the Master of Counselling programme and the Child and Family Psychology programme, before gaining a permanent position as a Lecturer in Counselling.  At the same time I embarked on my PhD, in order to both further contribute to knowledge in the field of counsellor education as well as to obtain the requisite qualification for my position.

Q: Why are you interested in this area of study?
A: Coming into the role of Counsellor Educator I recognised that, while in my professional work as a Psychologist and Counsellor I had developed expertise in therapeutic models of change with clients, a different kind of knowledge base was required for educating counsellors.

In addition, because the taught model of therapeutic change in the Counselling Programme was underpinned by social constructionist principles, I recognised the need for the philosophy of counsellor education to align with this. Thus, I embarked on a PhD to further develop knowledge around identity and education for counsellors-in-training.    

Q: What is your advice for anyone else juggling work and study? 
A: Juggling work, study and family over the previous five years has been a challenge! Having support from both colleagues and family members to enable me to prioritise time to focus on my PhD has been essential.  Deadlines and excellent PhD supervisors have been helpful as has a lot of yoga!

Q: What does it mean to you to graduate?
A:
Graduation is an opportunity to mark and celebrate an important achievement, for myself and with those who have supported me in making this achievement possible. I am especially pleased to be able to have my parents in the audience who worked hard to enable both myself and my brother to be the first to achieve University degrees in our family, as well as to have my daughter there so she too can begin to imagine what might be possible for her.