UC TAKES THIRD PLACE IN AOTEAROA BIKE CHALLENGE

The UC team received third place in the Aotearoa Bike Challenge for the 500-1999 staff category in Christchurch.

Two of the staff who participated shared their experience:

Why I joined – Diana Hinterleitner

I signed up with Love to Ride Christchurch for the 2017 Aotearoa bike challenge and noted that UC did not have a registered team.  As I was wanting to make sure that my logged rides would count for something I set up UC and became the “Challenge Champion”, it was then up to me to encourage members of the UC staff to join up as well. 

The Aotearoa Bike Challenge ran from 1 – 28 February 2018, we currently have 115 out of 1764 staff registered within 35 different departments, we were still able to reach 3rd place for Christchurch.

It’s great to 

see progress when logging rides, for the challenge and also on an every day basis using automatic uploads via the Ride Report app.  Having recently purchased an E-bike (and not paying for car parking) I am now committed to commuting to work (20km round trip) by bike as much as possible. 

Grab life with both hands – Meg Twist

I am new to Christchurch, new to UC and new to cycling to work.  I made the decision to capture the freedom of my youth and attempt to cycle the 10km journey to and from work.

Encouraged by the wonderful Connie of Go Cycle Christchurch, and  a very bike-friendly work colleague, Dawn, the next logical step was to take part in the Aotearoa Bike Challenge. In such a large organisation like UC, it has given me contacts with other cyclists across campus.

Achieving small  goals like exceeding my previous weeks kilometres became ridiculously fun and addictive! I have saved money on petrol and increased my overall fitness. The website was user friendly and a great way  to check in to see how UC was faring against our competitors across the city. 

I am proud that UC came third in the competition, and encourage other UC staff to join next year.  It’s free and there are seriously good prizes on offer!

Angela Curl, Leigh Davidson,Johann Kissick, Sam Garmonsway,Lisa Beardsley,Diana Hinterleitner,Megan Twist,Margaret Ingram,Romy Forrer,Elizabeth Zou,Leonie Partridge, Felicity Watson, Alan Palmer