You may recall the long queues that have traditionally marked international enrolment in person. This is set to change for the next intake in Semester 2, with improvements being piloted by the Student Success and Enrolments teams and the Student First Programme to ensure that students arrive prepared and UC is better able to manage the process.
What are we doing differently?
• International students arriving for Semester 2 are being targeted with specific communications to ensure they arrive in New Zealand with courses selected and the correct documentation submitted.
• Student Advisors from the Colleges are proactively reaching out to students to provide course advice.
• Students are booking into scheduled enrolment events on campus between 4 -13 July. These events are a joint initiative between Enrolments, the Colleges, Student Success, the Finance Team, IRO, and SSAC.
• While the administration process happens behind the scenes, the 20 students in each session are whisked off to a specially designed event run by Student Success.
• The International Student Lounge will be set up in Level 2, Puaka-James Hight from 4-13 July and will host events along with Matariki.
Benefits of the new process
• Students know ahead of time when their enrolment will be processed.
• Rather than waste time in queues, students have an opportunity to ask questions, meet friends, and relax in a student friendly environment.
• UC staff know who is coming and when and can use the structure to better plan and prepare resources.
• Pilot for Enrolments 2019 – we’re hoping this will make a real difference to the student experience and relieve the pressure on staff. This is a great opportunity to stress test the new process and refine it before the next large international student intake in 2019.
• College Student Advisors: Early course advice
• Programme Coordinators / Heads of Department: Course approvals
• Enrolments Team: Enrolments administration and coordination
• Student Success Team: Enrolment event management
• Finance Team
• Student First Programme: Admission and Enrolment Management project team
How Can You Help?
We need volunteers to greet and talk to students in the welcome centre and international lounge between 4-13 July. If you’re available to help, for any length of time, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you see International students on campus looking lost during this time, direct them to the international student lounge on Level 2, Puaka-James Hight.
• If you are a student advisor/programme coordinator, be proactive in providing course advice over the coming 3-4 weeks
• Proactively work through course approvals prior to 4 July
• During the Enrol In Person Window, please be prepared to work with students who may not have had course advice prior to arriving or need courses approved.
Be aware of what is going on and if someone asks for help, put your hand up.
ITS and Facilities
The operational teams depend on key IT infrastructure over this time so please be prepared to provide support as required.