Amorangi Ako me te Hauora | Pro-Vice-Chancellor Education, Health and Human Development

I would like to advise that Professor Gail Gillon, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for the College of Education, Health and Human Development | Amorangi Ako me te Hauora, has decided to resign from her PVC position to further her research leadership role within UC.

Effective from 1 January 2019, Professor Gillon will become the Director of the Child Well-Being Research Institute within the College of Education, Health and Human Development | Te Rāngai Ako me te Hauora. Professor Gillon is also Co-Director of one of the National Science Challenges, A Better Start, E Tipu E Rea, which the Government recently announced will continue to be funded for a further five years.   

The timing for this change will align with the College’s move to Rehua as Prof Gillon is keen to ensure a successful transition for the College.

Prof Gillon has been the PVC for the College of Education, Health and Human Development | Amorangi Ako me te Hauora for the past 11 years and has successfully led the College through some challenging periods. She leaves the College in a strong financial position and with promising student growth projections for 2019.  

Professor Gillon has been an influential member of the Senior Management Team and we all wish her every success in her new role.

Consequently, I am pleased to advise that Professor Letitia Fickel will temporarily resume the Acting PVC position for 12 months effective1 January 2019. This will enable the new Vice-Chancellor time to transition into UC and undertake the recruitment process for this position.   

There will be an opportunity to formally thank Professor Gillon, but I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank Professor Gillon for her excellent contribution to the Senior Management team and the College, and look forward to her continuing her success as a research leader at UC.  

Dr Rod Carr
Vice-Chancellor | Tumu Whakarae