Erskine Programme Visitor Profile

Professor Tammy Allen has joined us from the University of South Florida, located in Tampa, Florida.

Tammy and Mark enjoying the great Kiwi outdoors

What do you teach?

My general background is in industrial and organizational psychology.  My research and teaching focus has been on work-family issues, worker career development, and occupational health.

What interested you in the Erskine Programme/why did you want to come to UC?

My first experience as an Erskine visitor was in 2012 and I have been interested in returning since then.  I appreciate the collegiality of the psychology department and the concern that is shown for students. My current host, Katharina Naswall who I met during my first visit, shares an interest in worker wellbeing and we are currently collaborating on a large-scale cross-national work-family project.  Every time I visit a university, I learn something new, which I try to take back to my home institution.

What have you been doing at UC?

My primary activity has been teaching a course on Stress, Health, and Wellbeing to the Applied Psychology graduate students. I am co-teaching with my partner, Mark Poteet, who is also an industrial-organizational psychologist who does consulting work. While I focus on theory and research, Mark focuses on application within the workplace. The students have been eager to learn and their engagement has made teaching the course very rewarding.

I also delivered a research lecture focused on work-family conflict. In the lecture I discussed a program of research my lab has been conducting in which we investigate the day-to-day conflicts that individuals experiences between their work and family roles, decision-making about competing work-family demands, and physiological reactions.

What have you most enjoyed about your time here at UC/Christchurch?

It has been delight to return to Christchurch and see the revitalization of campus life and the city that has occurred since 2012. I have also very much enjoyed interactions and sharing of ideas with students and colleagues within psychology.

My partner and I enjoy outdoor activities and have been fortunate to do some great hiking while here, including the Tongariro Crossing on the North Island, Abel Tasman, and trails in Mount Cook Village. We continue to be stunned by the natural beauty of New Zealand.  We love the warmth and friendliness of the Kiwi culture. I’m grateful to have had this time at UC!