This Active Canterbury list is a great resource to help kick-start those New Year’s resolutions! Ideas include:
- Walk or bike to work once a week.
- Find a car parking spot further away from your office.
- Stairs, no elevators.
- Stop the impulse to email. Instead, get up and walk to a colleague’s desk to deliver a work message.
- Walk 15 minutes (at 4 different times through the day) – see list for details
- Stand while you’re reviewing your schedule for the day or reading paperwork.
- Have walk-and-talk meetings or standing meetings.
- Start a walking club. Meet three times a week before or after work for a 30-minute walk. Everyone starts together but proceeds at their own pace. Do it indoors and you never have to worry about the weather.
- Instead of Friday night happy hour, how about Friday night healthy hour? Bring in wholesome snacks to share before walking over to the local watering hole for a drink. Think of all the money and junk-food calories you’ll save on bar food.
- Set an alarm to go off every hour on the hour. When it does, get up and take a short, brisk stroll or stand and stretch – and then get back to work.
- Bring your coffee in a thermos, and you can make your coffee break a walk break.
- If you have a space (eg; UC RecCentre) that would be great for yoga, Pilates or guided meditation classes, consider finding instructors to conduct classes before or after work.
- Turn fitness into a game of tag. When you’re “it,” you must complete a walk of a certain distance or activity before passing the baton to a colleague.
Click here to see the full 51 ideas on one sheet or visit here for more workplace wellness ideas
Gym memberships are on sale right now – do not miss your last chance to make a difference to your health and fitness before summer.
All those goals that you made at the start of the year – are you going to see them through, or look back with regret?
The Rec Centre has a three-month summer special for UC staff members. These memberships are usually $119, but have been reduced to $89 for the next two weeks only.
Included in the membership is one personalised SteerMe gym programme with one of our fitness consultants and access to all of our facilities, including our group fitness programme. You also have the opportunity to book in for our high value PushMe personal training sessions.
You have the choice to make a difference to your life – to feel more confident, more physically able, to experience less pain and friction in your joints. It is up to you to decide you want to feel the strongest and healthiest you have ever been.
Changes don’t happen in the short-term, it is the long term commitment we make to our health and wellbeing that changes our lives, and this is your chance to make that commitment.
Visit the Rec Centre’s website, or call the friendly team at the Rec Centre reception on 03 364 2433 for more information.
Prepare to take on either a 10km, half, or full marathon in the Christchurch Marathon Event, Sunday 5 June 2016. Get a support package from the team at UC Sport.
For full details check out our website at http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/sport/runcanterbury
Register online today, introductory meeting is Monday 6pm 14th March in KA04, and the first group pack run is Tuesday 15th March 5.15pm.
Support package includes:
- Comprehensive online training and support programme through Training Peaks.
- Group runs lead by pack leaders every Tuesday and Thursday at 5.15pm to keep you motivated (beginner, intermediate, and advanced running groups available).
- Free high quality BLK running T-shirt worth $50.
- We’ll even pay for your entry fee in the Tai Tapu 10 or 15km road race as part of your build up!
- 3km time trial to determine your appropriate training group.
- Discounted sports lab testing.
- Discounted shoes and running gear from our partners The Frontrunner.
- Rehydration sponsored by SOS Rehydrate.
- Seminars included on Nutrition, Race Day Prep.
- Weekly email support with motivational and training advice.
- Over 15 years experience running this programme – hundreds of satisfied runners.
Fill out our online registration form today or download a brochure and register at UC Sport’s offices you will be able to pay by EFTPOS or credit card.
We’re confident you won’t find a better price for this much training advice and support!
- UC Staff and Students $80
- Community Members $120
- Previous participant $70
- Paying off the programme through installments is no problem and can be organised with Matt Ingram (email@example.com).
For more information contact:
Matt Ingram, T: 03 369 3137, E: firstname.lastname@example.org or pop into the UC Sport office KD2 Kirkwood Village
Lastly please “Like” our Run Canterbury Facebook Page!
Registrations are now open for the first round of Staff Yoga 2016.
These courses are dedicated to UC staff only, with a maximum of 20 people to allow for more personalised teaching and alignment adjustments in a nice, private space. The courses run in an eight week block and start during the week beginning Mon 8th Feb. Courses will be led by either John Squire or Sabine Steinegg.
Opt 1 – Tues 5:15pm KA04 (Kirkwood Village)
Opt 2 – Wed 1pm DD02 (Dovedale Village)
Opt 3 – Tues 6:30pm KA04 (Kirkwood Village)
Meditation through Yin Yoga
Registrations also open for our Meditation course. This course aims to teach you simple techniques to breath, move and meditate to help to lower stress levels and contribute to your overall health and wellbeing. Each session will also consist of a short Yin Yoga practice. The course runs in a six week block from Sunday 28 February to Sunday 10 April at 6:15pm (opt1) and is lead by the lovely Sabine.
Click on the course titles above to find out more details about each course.
Both Staff Yoga and Meditation are open to all UC staff members, no membership required. To register, either pop into the Rec Centre and sign up with one of our Receptionists. Otherwise you can give us a call on ext 8434 and we can register you over the phone. Payment must be taken at the time of booking.
Feel free email any questions you might have through to Danielle.Mather@canterbury.ac.nz