During the national lockdown, the University of Canterbury Students’ Association (UCSA) shifted many of our services online and began to work remotely, but as lockdown lifts, we’re taking steps to reopen some on-campus facilities like select food and beverage outlets and Haere-roa, the UCSA building.
So what changes will you notice from Monday 18 May?
Haere-Roa will be opening its doors to students once again, but please remember that you’ll need your Canterbury Card to swipe yourself into the building. The UCSA’s reception will be open on Level 1.
Food and beverage
We’re also happy to announce that you’ll be able to grab your caffeine-fix or a bite to eat, Monday to Friday, from:
- Nuts & Bolts, 9AM–3PM,
- Collective, 9AM–2.30PM, and
- Chilton’s, 9AM–4PM.
These outlets will be takeaway only, and we have full safety plans in place for each site. We can’t wait to welcome you back, and we appreciate your continued support.
University Book Shop (UBS)
Booklovers will be glad to know that UBS is reopening from Monday 18 May. And if you’re off-campus, you can also browse their goods from the comfort of your own home, through the UBS website.
Other UCSA services
If you’d like to know more about the UCSA’s other services under Level 2, please head to the COVID-19 page on our website for regular updates.
This message was brought to you by the UCSA. Stay connected and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or visit our website.
The Foundry has just released its delicious new menu in time for semester one. You can view it online now through the UCSA website.
The new menu takes you from brunch to dinner, with tasty savoury and sweet options, as well as meals to cater for a range of dietary needs. Some of the standouts include fresh spring rolls and hearty bacon and egg pie.
The Foundry is a UCSA bar located inside Haere-roa, the new student building on campus. The Foundry is open 8.30am till late, Monday to Friday during term time.
It has been a 106 years since the first UC Blues Awards, and last week the ceremony was back for 2019. The awards are one of the most prestigious events on the university calendar.
This year, Blues was staged in the new UCSA building, Haere-roa. 65 awards were presented. Congratulations to all winners and nominees!
2019 Blues Awards winners
- Polly Hoskins – Outstanding Contribution to University Arts
- Thomas Bedggood – Outstanding Achievement in the Arts
- Amelia Dewhurst and Rose Bayldon – Outstanding Contribution to Sustainability
- Eleanor Hurton – Outstanding Contribution to Equity and Diversity
- Tamahou Thoms – Waewae Kai Pakiaka: Outstanding Contribution to the Māori Community
- Bariz Shah and Eleanor Hurton – Outstanding Achievement in Community Engagement
- George Haswell – Official of the Year
- Piet Van Hasselt – Coach of the Year
- UC Men’s Premier Basketball Team – Team of the Year
- Piet Van Hasselt – Outstanding Contribution to University Sport
- Braydon Ennor – Sportsperson of the Year
- Amelia Dewhurst
- Bariz Shah
- Eleanor Hurton
- Freya Farrar
- George Stilwell
- Hinerangi Curtis
- Josephine Varghese
- Paige Sullivan
- Rose Bayldon
- Sam Walker
- Tamahou Thoms
- Baily Lelieveld – Music
- Chas Wakefield – Music
- Jack Nolan – Music
- Kevin Fernando – Music
- Polly Hoskins – Literature
- Thomas Bedggood – Music
- Wenting Yang – Music
- Adam Hillis – Hockey
- Anna Perry – Athletics
- Braydon Ennor – Rugby
- Britneylee Nicholson – Football and Futsal
- Bronwyn Dibb – Trampoline
- Edmund Fordyce – Croquet
- Ella Ferguson – Volleyball
- Grace Brooker – Rugby
- Hayley Cox – Hockey
- Henry Wills – Rowing
- Jade Bowen – Touch Rugby and Rugby Sevens
- Jessie Hansen – Rugby
- Josie Dixon – Handball
- Julia Harrison – Archery
- Lily Marshall – Netball
- Lucy Jenkins – Rugby
- Luke Mercieca – Athletics
- Madeleine Story – Hockey
- Margot Willis – Hockey
- Max Atwell – Athletics
- Quinton Hurley – Swimming
- Rebecca Lake –Football and Futsal
- Una Foyle – Football
- Will Jordan – Rugby
- Ultimate Players:
- Caitlin Wood – Ultimate Frisbee
- Kimberley Fuller – Ultimate Frisbee
- Mike Muldrew – Ultimate Frisbee
- Paige Hansen – Ultimate Frisbee
- Te Atawhai Maginness – Ultimate Frisbee
- Yani Nicholson – Ultimate Frisbee
Sport Recognition Awards
- UC Men’s Falcons Hockey Team – UTSNZ Hockey Champions
- UC Men’s Falcons Volleyball Team – UTSNZ Hockey Champions
- UC Men’s Premier Basketball Team – Christchurch Premier Basketball Champions
- Caleb Downes – Football Referee
- George Haswell – Rugby and Touch Rugby Referee
- Harrison Cook – Football Referee
- Michael Love – Football Referee
- Craig Anderson – Hockey Coach
- Lyndon Fraser – Athletics Coach
- Piet Van Hasselt – Basketball Coach
The winners of the 2019 Staff of the Year Awards were announced recently at a ceremony held in the new Students’ Association building, Haere-roa.
Since 1995, the awards have given students an opportunity to nominate and vote for UC’s most inspiring and dedicated staff, both academic and non-academic. Congratulations to this year’s winners and nominees!
- Lecturer of the Year Arts: Sergio Redondo
- Lecturer of the Year Business & Law: Dr Steve Agnew
- Lecturer of the Year Education: Dr Valerie Sotardi
- Lecturer of the Year Engineering: Professor Alessandro Palermo
- Lecturer of the Year Science: Associate Professor Ashley Garrill and Dr Dean Sutherland
- Supervisor of the Year: Tammy Steeves
- Administrator of the Year: Heather Couch
- Technical Staff of the Year: Gavin Blackwell
Student Make your Own Awards
- Vaccine Enthusiast Award: AP Alex James
- Bearded Friend of the Free Folk Award: Cameron Bell
- Foot Firmly in Mouth Award: Professor Clemency Montelle
- Woman of the Year Award: Heather Couch
- Best Lecture Props Award: Dr Heather Purdie
- Most Likely To Have To See A Guy About A Cat Award: Dr Karyn Stewart
- Most Likely to Start a Podcast Award: AP Ken Morrison
- Loudest Shirts Award: Professor Philip Armstrong
- The ‘Like All Good War Heroes He Became an Economist’ Award for Best Quote: Associate Professor Emeritus Stratford Douglas
Exec Special Awards
- Rīpeka Tamanui-Hurunui
- Lynn McClelland
- Dr Abby Suszko
- Chloe Wium
- Steve Gibling
- Superstar of the Year: Riki Welsh
- Great Character of the Year: Chris Hann
- Lecturer of the Year: Professor Alessandro Palermo
Take back your Sunday and never iron a shirt again! Haere-roa, the new UCSA building, is a new agent for Maxwell’s Drycleaning.
- competitive prices,
- loyalty cards, and
- convenient two or three day service.
You can drop your laundry off at UCSA’s reception on the second floor of Haere-roa. Items can be handed in before 10am, with collection before 5pm.
Read the price list here.