Everything you need to know
The parade to celebrate the Emirates Team New Zealand’s America’s Cup win starts at 12 noon on Wednesday 12 July. The city centre will be very busy, so it will be best to plan ahead and arrive early for the best viewing positions.
The parade route is available on christchurchnzparade.com
The parade will start at Colombo and Lichfield Streets, turn left into Hereford Street before turning right into Montreal Street. It will conclude with celebrations outside the Christchurch Art Gallery. See map on the final page.
Volunteers will be available throughout the parade route to help find the most suitable viewing areas. The public are asked to make full use of the parade route and surrounding areas to ensure the enjoyment of all those that wish to attend.
An accessible viewing area is provided at the front of the stage at the Christchurch Art Gallery (Gloucester Road end). Those wishing to use this area, should make their way to the entry point on Montreal Street near the Gloucester Road corner next to the St John ambulance area. They will then be escorted to the viewing area by a member of staff.
Plan your travel
You are advised to come into the city as early as possible on the day.
- Bus – all buses will be running as usual and will be subject to standard fares. The Bus Interchange is located on the parade route so you will need to arrive early, to avoid delays. Plan your journey here and see the www.metroinfo.co.nz for ideal bus routes.
- Cycle – Christchurch is New Zealand’s most cycle friendly city with a network of cycleways and cycle lanes. See Transport for Christchurch for more info.
- Walking – it is likely that you will need to walk for some distance to attend the parade. Please make sure that you come prepared to do so as we are anticipating large numbers of people in the central city.
- Driving – if you do need to park in the central city carparking buildings will be your best chance. There will be no parking on the parade route.
- Road closures – there will be road closures along the parade route (see map on final page) and some nearby streets beginning at 9am and ending around 3.00pm.
If you’re not going to the parade it may be best to avoid the city centre if possible and if you usually drive into the city centre this is a great opportunity to have a car-free day.
Bad weather plan
Bad weather is expected to arrive in Canterbury on Tuesday afternoon and remain for the rest of the week.
In the unlikely event that the parade is unable to go ahead updates will be communicated first thing on Wednesday morning on christchurchnzparade.com and through other channels as soon as possible.
See christchurchnzparade.com for more information and all updates.