We’re gearing up for an entire month of celebrating all things plastic free during the worldwide Plastic Free July Campaign.
Take the challenge and ‘choose to refuse’ single use plastics with us during the month of July!
Want to get started?
- Bring a reusable coffee cup to campus, and make the most of the $ savings that come with BYO mugs
- Bring your lunch from home and avoid plastic cling film or if you’re buying food on campus, bring a container and avoid using a takeaway box or plate!
- Take your own bags to get your groceries – and don’t forget smaller bags for loose produce
- Drink loose leaf tea – did you know tea bags contain plastic?
- Keep some reusable cutlery in your bag or office, so you’re not caught short if you do buy food out. A reusable straw is always handy too!
- Don’t forget your reusable water bottle to fill up on the go
- Want to challenge yourself? Get inspired with these ‘next steps’ for taking your Plastic Free July to another level.
Remember: The most sustainable item is one you already have! If you need reusables or other items to help you ditch single-use plastic, we encourage you to use what you have first. Nothing wrong with a jam jar as a coffee cup, or an ice-cream container for a lunch box we reckon…
Want some more help?
We’ve got a whole bunch of plastic free activities planned this month to help you along the way, including a free DIY beeswax wrap workshop, student bloggers sharing their experiences about taking on the challenge, and heaps of awesome plastic free giveaways over on our Facebook page.
Join us for a month of ditching single use plastics for good!
This message was bought to you by the UC Sustainability Office. Stay connected and follow us on Facebook, Instagram or sign up to our newsletter to stay in the loop about campus sustainability. This is part of our contribution to Plastic Free July, where we encourage our UC community reduce single use plastics for the month. For more information and tips, see the Plastic Free July website.