Did you know UC is an edible campus?

Kia ora UC community, 

My name is Ash Anderson, and I am currently interning with Zin South at UC Sustainability over summer! Zin and I are interning through the UC Arts PACE program.

Zin and I by one of the many wonderful fig trees.

I thought I would share a little about myself. I am a second year student at UC studying a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology and Classics. I have always been interested in living a more sustainable life so being able to work with likeminded people has been an absolute treat so far!

The main project Zin and I are working on with the incredible team at UC Sustainability is updating the edible campus map! Wait, did you not know UC was an edible campus? Well, neither did I before being introduced to this project. Thanks to the Geospatial Research Institute and their wonderful intern Matthew Conley, we have been able to partner together to create a virtual story map of UC’s food forging locations! This means that everyone can help themselves to various fruits available on campus! Including peaches, berries, apricots, figs, feijoas and much more!

Pears growing on the tree near Cafe 1894
A fig growing on the tree by the Fine Arts building.

The UC Sustainability Office’s goal is to help create and change practices within the university and the wider community to be more sustainable and economical. Food forging is just one of the ways they embody this. Having access to fruit trees encompasses many of the UN’s  Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and we can’t wait to share more about this in our next blog post. 

Stay tuned on social media for updates around this project, including the launch date of the map!

Until next time,

Ash Anderson. 

This message was brought to you by Ash Anderson written on behalf of the UC Sustainability Office. Stay connected and follow us on Facebook, Instagram or sign up to our newsletter to stay in the loop about campus sustainability. For more information on sustainability at UC, see our website.

One thought on “Did you know UC is an edible campus?”