All exercise is good. That’s a sweeping statement we know, but we firmly believe it’s true. Here’s the disclaimer – not all exercise is created equal. Thus, what is good for one person, may not be the right fit for another person. And how does timing of exercise fit in?
First up, we’re assuming that you’ve found an exercise or activity that you love to do – be it sport, gym, walking or biking that gets your heart rate up a little each day. Now that you’ve got the right exercise for you, WHEN is the best time to do it?
Morning Exercise – Getting it done!
The biggest benefit of a morning routine is simply that you get it done! As the day goes on, you become more fatigued, other things pop up and all of a sudden, the excuses to not exercise become easier to justify. On a more positive note, it helps to boost your energy, increase your focus and concentration, and improve your mood. All of which, helps set you up for a happy, healthy and successful day.
Top Tips for Success
Let’s face it, not everyone is bright eyed and bushy-tailed in the early hours of the morning. Like anything, it can be learned with a bit of hard work to begin with…
- It all starts with a good sleep. Get a solid 8 hours, and move your bedtime earlier to accommodate the early rise if you need to. Turn off the electronics one hour before that time, to reduce blue light that interferes with your sleep hormones.
- Plan ahead so you’ve got one less decision to make. Plan your week out ahead, knowing when/where you’re going to exercise and with whom (being accountable to others is a really helpful way to get out of bed!)
- Make it easy on yourself with good prep. Before you go to sleep (that last hour when your electronics are off) why not pack your bag for the next day, lay out your workout clothes/shoes or pre-select your home workout from the Rec&Sport youtube page. Minimise the decision making which drains the brain!
- Start small. Small changes over time are more likely to stick, than one big swooping lifestyle change. Thus, if you add 1-2 morning sessions per week, from zero, that’s a good start. You might try a home workout to make it even easier.
Morning Options with Rec&Sport, RecCentre members
- Bootcamp – get an early morning fix twice a week with Gary. Kicks off at 6.30am on Tuesdays and Thursdays, done and dusted by 7.20am. You can be showered and at your desk by 8am, feeling somewhat chuffed with yourself, and deservedly so. Non-member rates available.
- Gym time – the gym is at it’s quietest in the morning, so you can whizz through your workout with ease, in half the time! We have limited early morning PT sessions available too – email us for info.
- Why not Spin or Yoga to get the happy hormones flowing in the morning? Bookings via the Rec&Sport app
- Court & equipment hire are both FREE for members before 3pm, as long as you’re willing to just turn up and take your chances. If you want to book ahead, then there is a small charge. So, squash or badminton anyone?
- Off-Peak memberships are now available for UC Staff. Designed for those of you who prefer and only train before 3pm, save a further ~40% off the full staff rate (which, incidentally, already has a massive saving from our community rate). Prices start at $75 for 3months for an off-peak membership, or $269 for a whole year of health. You can even try a 14-day trial on us!
Whatever you choose, go well!
Te Ratonga Hākinakina | UC Rec & Sport