Global Ranking of Academic Subjects (GRAS) 2021 by ShanghaiRanking Consultancy were released recently and included some pleasing results for a number of subject areas.
Civil Engineering has maintained its ranking of 9th overall and first in New Zealand. See the recent story on PhD student Fatma Abdelaal and her invitation to join the Commonwealth Futures Climate Research Cohort.
The subject of Environmental Science and Engineering was also ranked first in New Zealand. Read Dr Laura Revell’s Conversation piece Climate Explained: rising carbon emissions (probably) won’t make the Earth uninhabitable.
Next week we will receive the QS World University Rankings – keep an eye out for UC’s result.
Notable subject results for UC:
- Civil Engineering: Ranked 9 and, first in New Zealand
- Hospitality & Tourism Management: Ranked 34 and second in New Zealand
- Transportation Science & Technology: Ranked 151-200 and first first in New Zealand
- Ecology: Ranked 151-200 and first in New Zealand
- Earth Sciences: Ranked 201-300
- Environmental Science & Engineering: Ranked first in New Zealand
About the rankings
ShanghaiRanking started publishing Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) and Global Ranking of Academic Subjects (GRAS) by academic subjects in 2009. The GRAS system ranks universities in 54 subjects across Natural Sciences, Engineering, Life Sciences, Medical Sciences, and Social Sciences and in total, more than 4000 universities were ranked. Explore the rankings on the Shanghai Ranking website