Leanne Keenan and Iain MacPherson have been appointed as Incident Controllers (ICs) to work alongside Rīpeka Tamanui-Hurunui on the UC Incident Management Team. The team’s focus has been on whakawhanaungatanga and developing networks with local emergency services to enhance UCs response to significant emergency incidents.
- Last month ICs met with local NZ Police Inspector Brian Buck and Inspector Craig McKay to network and discuss a campus exercise, which will likely be scheduled for Jan or Feb 2022.
- ICs also met with Fire and Emergency NZ (FENZ) Team Station Manager Paul Burns, who is now located on Creyke Road in the new Fire Station on campus.
- FENZ Area Commander Dave Stackhouse and Assistant Area Commander Steve Kennedy attended the hui to discuss collaborative training and other opportunities. As a result of this hui, FENZ invited the ICs to attend a recent Regional Fire Simulation Exercise at the Justice Precinct in the city, as observers.
- ICs met with the Canterbury City Civil Defence and Christchurch city Group Civil Defence Teams. Neville Riley, Regional Manager Civil Defence and Rob Orchard Christchurch City Emergency Manager gave the ICs a briefing and tour of the Justice Precinct Emergency Operations Centre. We have agreed to developing collaborative training opportunities and sharing best practice to enhance our emergency preparedness and response.
- The ICs keep a watching brief on COVID19 matters and other emergency events, such as the recent floods in Canterbury.
- The IMT has restarted monthly training scenario sessions to practice responding to various emergency situations.
We are currently recruiting an Emergency Management and Business Continuity Manager. The role closes on 6 June 2021.