Kia ora – as many of you know the Aho Hīnātore | Accelerator Scholarship is one of our most accessible and prestigious doctoral scholarships. The scholarship is designed to retain our best and brightest Honours and Masters students to carry out their doctoral studies at UC. This will be the second year that UC will offer the scholarship. Last year, we received a huge number of excellent applications that even more funding has been allocated to the 2021 scholarship.
The Scholarships office and Postgraduate Research Office will be holding an information session on Wednesday Aug 4th in Undercroft 101 from 11-12, followed by some light refreshments. The session is for potential students and their supervisors to understand the process of application, clarify any questions associated with the project and PhD components, and to answer questions associated with the scholarship. Please RSVP to email@example.com and advise us on any dietary requirements so we can provide adequate catering.
Some quick FAQs ahead of the session:
- Closing date is 3rd Sept – applications must be completed online at https://www.canterbury.ac.nz/postgraduate/aho-hinatore-accelerator-scholarship/
- Scholarship is made up of a 12-week project (similar to the old summer scholarship) and a full time PhD program.
- Stipend value: $6,000 for the 12-week project and $28,000 p/a + fees for the doctoral study (up to 360pts).
- The project is co-funded at $4,500 from the UC Foundation and Postgraduate Research Office with the remaining $1,500 sourced from other sources (e.g. external, research, departmental funding)
- Applicants will be judged on the quality of the project, the strength of the supervisory team and the potential of the student
- Students must have a minimum GPA of 7.0 to qualify for the scholarship
- The scholarship is open to any PhD program at UC and scholarships will be allocated equitably across academic units
- Students must have completed and received the marks for their qualifying degree by March 31st 2022
- The 12-week project must start no later than April 1st 2022
- The student must start their PhD no later than July 1st 2022
We look forward to seeing you there
Mā te wā
Ekant Veer, PhD
Te Amo Tuarua Rangahau|Associate Dean of Postgraduate Research (Scholarships)
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha|University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Waea|Tel: +64 3 3694068