Haere mai to new UC Councillor Amy Adams

Kia ora koutou,

I am pleased to inform you that Hon Amy Adams, former MP and UC graduate, has joined Te Kaunihera o Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha | the UC Council after being appointed by the Minister of Education Hon Chris Hipkins. She has been appointed for a four-year term, which began on 8 September 2021.

In his letter, the Minister thanked Steve Wakefield, who is retiring from the UC Council after four years as Pro-Chancellor, for his service to the University.

Amy has expressed her delight in joining the University of Canterbury’s governing body. “I’m excited to have another opportunity to serve my community as I become one of the Council members | Ngā Mema o te Kaunihera. It’s an honour to join this group of people, guiding this critical local  organsiation and I’m looking forward to getting started, with the September Council meeting coming up very quickly.”

Amy graduated with a Bachelor of Laws degree with First Class Honours from the University of Canterbury. Her legal career included becoming a partner in the Christchurch law firm Mortlock McCormack. She was selected as the National Party candidate for the Selwyn seat for the 2008 general election, and served as a Cabinet Minister for 6 years in a number of roles including as Minister for the Environment, Minister for Communications, and Minister of Justice. Amy was the Member of Parliament for Selwyn from 2008 until 2020, when she retired from politics.

Please join me in welcoming Amy back to the University, where I am sure she will do a wonderful job bringing her expertise, connections, and experience to the Council table.

Ngā mihi,

Sue McCormack
Tumu Kaunihera | Chancellor