Kia ora koutou,
We’re delighted to share that on Monday 15th November, Microsoft 365 Teams and OneDrive will be available to all staff at UC. Moving University of Canterbury staff and students toward more cloud-based applications, like Microsoft 365 (M365), is one step in achieving UC’s Strategic Vision, including empowering our people.
The roll out of M365 will be deployed in stages across the University. Stage one covers the deployment of Microsoft Teams and OneDrive. These are tools that support agility, responsiveness, and collaboration. After a successful pilot with various groups around the University, we are confident that Teams and OneDrive will help you to be more supported to work efficiently in your day-to-day role.
If you missed the last blog, read it here.
Getting set up:
On Thursday 11th November, please close any open apps and sign out of your desktop when you have finished work. When you come into work on Monday 15th November the applications will be ready to set up.
Setting up Teams:
- Access to the Teams app will be available on Monday 15th November. Look for the Teams app on your desktop (or start menu). Right click on the icon and pin to your taskbar, then click the icon to open the application.
- Click here for installation instructions if you use MacOS
- If the icon does not appear, restart your workstation, follow the Teams install instructions on the UC Intranet M365 info site – we recommend saving this site to your bookmarks to refer to as you settle in to using Microsoft Teams.
Setting up OneDrive:
- Follow instructions on the UC Intranet M365 info site to set up OneDrive and use to store and manage your personal work files.
- If you don’t have a UC provided computer, go to Office.com and login with your UC email address and usual password.
We highly recommend you attend the two different lessons available. You will learn how you can get the most out of these two tools. Trainings are running now until November 24th book in your slot below:
- Lesson 1: Introduction to Teams and OneDrive covers the basics of how to use the Teams workspace and OneDrive – book here.
- Lesson 2: Teams for Enhanced Collaboration shows some of the extra apps that are part of Teams and OneDrive for easy and seamless collaboration with colleagues – book here
A full training schedule is available on the UC Intranet M365 info site.
Training is delivered over Zoom so you can also book a meeting room with your colleagues and learn together!
More about Teams and OneDrive:
Teams and OneDrive are cloud-based Microsoft applications used locally and globally with a reputation of being very effective means of collaborating from any device, anywhere.
Teams is a place where you and your colleagues can create content and make decisions together. This application will allow your conversations, files, meetings, and apps to live together in a single shared workspace that you can access on any device.
OneDrive gives you one place to store, share and sync work files you manage on your work device and in the Cloud. You can save your personal work files in OneDrive to work with them on any device, anywhere at any time, which is an improvement to P: Drive. You can also share and co-author documents with colleagues in real time.
- What to expect next:
This is a phased approach. In the future you will be able to use Teams for:
- teaching and learning purposes
- external calling outside of Teams i.e., landlines and mobile phones. For now, keep using Skype for Business
- and it will be compatible with meeting rooms – continue to use Zoom for now if you need a meeting room
We will keep you updated about when new features, such as those above, become available. In the meantime, everything you need to know on the Microsoft Teams and OneDrive rollout is available on the UC Intranet M365 info site, or the FAQ page here.
If you have any questions, contact the M365 Project team.