Category Archives: Community Notices

Project-Based Learning seminar

Come and hear how Project-Based learning has been successfully adopted at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, USA.

Date: Friday 31 January
Time: 1 – 2pm
Venue: John Britten foyer – No need to register

Professor Gary Pollice from WPI will discuss the role of project-based learning and motivations for and benefits from using it.

Examples of implementing projects in the classroom and throughout the curriculum will be highlighted to illustrate how project-based learning develops critical thinking and other skills that our graduates today need to have for success in their careers.

Results as provided by students, alumni, faculty and employers are presented alongside a discussion of some of the challenges and successes with project-based learning in the classroom and in WPI’s global projects program.

UC Teaching Awards and Teaching Medal

Do you know an excellent teacher or teaching team who deserve wider recognition?
Then take a moment to nominate them for a UC Teaching Award or the UC Teaching Medal.

Nominations for the 2020 Teaching Awards and UC Teaching Medal are open from now until 18 May, so kick start your year now.

Don’t forget that there is also an award available for implementing a single special teaching innovation, and that all teaching awards also bring with them a financial reward. The process is simple: complete a one-step form.

All awards recognise excellence in teaching (including thesis supervision) in both undergraduate and graduate programmes. The teaching medal is UC’s highest award for teaching and leadership.
Further information and nomination forms are available on the Teaching Awards or the Teaching Medal websites.

Crusaders Club Membership – Exclusive Offer

To kick off 2020, all UC staff have access to a discount offer on Crusaders Club Memberships!

The offer includes a discount in both the platinum and gold seating categories at Orangetheory Stadium for all 7 Crusaders home games, and they are also offering Kids Go Free in covered seats with a paying adult. UC staff who join as Crusaders Club Members also receive 30% off all Crusaders shop merchandise.

To purchase this offer, visit www.crusaders.co.nz and head to the Crusaders Club Membership page, enter the promo code: 2020club

This is a limited time offer and will close on 1 Feb.

See membership prices here>

Ōtautahi Christchurch 10km: Discount code

The Christchurch 10km Series 2020 is kicking off on 19 Jan 2020 and all UC staff and students have a discount code for $5 off entry to any event in the 10km series!

Sand    Sunday 19th January 2020        North New Brighton Beach (Hard Sand)

Park     Sunday 2nd February 2020       Hagley Park

Trail     Sunday 23rd February 2020      Christchurch Adventure Park

Mix       Sunday 15th March 2020          Spencer Park

To utilise your $5 off promo, simply go to www.chch10km.co.nz and register for any (or all) 10km Series events! When you get to the payment screen enter code:

20CANTERBURYUNI20

and your $5 discount will be applied.

More information can be found on the events themselves by visiting: Facebook (Fusion Events) / Facebook (Christchurch 10km Series)

The power of Yet

Have you come back with a little (or big) desire to make changes to bring about more wellbeing in your life? Perhaps we can help with that.

First up, i’d like to introduce you to the power of a little word  – yet. Put it at the end of a sentence, and it changes everything.

“I can’t touch my toes…yet”
“I don’t journal…yet”
“I haven’t found an exercise I like…yet”
“I can’t play guitar…yet”
“I don’t speak Italian…yet”

Finding your best wellbeing formula will require a bit of trial and error.   You might find journalling or a self-care routine is enough to put you in your happy place, but you might also find it doesn’t.  Check out these 15 tips to boost your wellbeing  and you might just get some inspiration.

Part of that formula should include some exercise.  Find something joyful, that every time you move you look forward to it, and are perhaps a little sad when it’s over!   This could be outdoors, indoors, at the beach or in the garden.

If you think structured exercise may help (perhaps you love routine, or recognise that your spontaneous nature could do with a little routine to balance you out), then we’d love to see you at the RecCentre.    More than just your standard gym, we offer a big range of activities under one roof, so you can get a taste of what the fitness industry has to offer at a super low price.   Just maybe we ‘ve got something that will excite you!

Right now, we have a 3-month membership special, which runs until 19 January, to help you get started.  If you’re not sure, pop over for a look through, then start with a 2-week trial – it’s free for UC Staff.

Have a happy and healthy 2020!