The latest newsletter includes:
- Information on a four-week long virtual global health elective course in a collaborative online international learning model from the Manipal Academy of Higher Education.
- Registration for ‘Voices of the Blue Charter: A marine plastics research showcase’.
- Applications open for ACU Summer School 2021: ‘Urban disasters: Vulnerability and resilience in a pandemic’ with Tata Institute of Social Sciences, India.
- International Higher Education Forum 2021: Keeping higher education global
- THE Impact and Innovation Summit
- Opportunities to get involved with the Commonwealth Futures Climate Research Cohort
- Deliver a virtual training workshop – “We are seeking proposals from staff based at member universities to deliver a virtual training workshop on research-to-action for the Cohort. This workshop will equip researchers with the practical knowledge and skills they can apply to design and deliver their own research-to-action projects. A total of GBP 2,500 (plus VAT if applicable) is available to deliver this workshop.” Deadline: 16 April at 09:00 (UTC + 1)
Call for a research-to-action facilitator – “We are also seeking a senior climate-focused academic based at an ACU member university to support the researchers in developing five peer-led research-to-action projects. As a core component of the programme, these research-to-action projects will provide the Cohort with an opportunity to work across borders and disciplines, and work towards bridging the evidence-to-policy gap in their communities and beyond.” Deadline: 16 April at 09:00 (UTC + 1)
Noho ora mai
Karen Mather (she/her)
Pūmanawa Tangata | People and Culture
Rā Tūhura | Discovery Day 2021 takes place next Tuesday 13 April from 9.30am-2.30pm, with around 1600 tau 12 students from schools across Waitaha Canterbury arriving on campus to explore UC.
On the day our guests will be attending lectures and activities in the Undercroft, Engineering, Arts and Central Lecture theatres as they discover the differences between school and university life, while connecting with current UC staff and rangatahi students.
If you see them out and about, be sure to welcome them to campus with a smile!
Our guests will be arriving by bus from 8.30am. The following areas on campus will be affected during the day:
There’ll be traffic management and extra security during the day (8.30am-2.30pm).
Sections of the Clyde Car park will be closed to allow buses to park during the day (8.30am-2.30pm).
500 students will be dropped off outside the Erskine Building at 8.30am, and will depart at 11.30am.
Please keep this information in mind if you regularly park in these car parks.
You can find out more about Rā Tūhura | Discovery Day here.
Have you ever thought about learning to swim, or improving how far you can swim? The Rec&Sport team have set up an easy way for you to access 20% off CCC pool memberships, and get free swimming lessons to boot!
All good, but why should YOU learn to swim?
Lots of reasons, but here are our top 4:
- New Zealand is an island nation with some beautiful beaches, lakes and rivers to play in and on. You’ll have much more fun if you’re confident you can swim a few hundred metres to something cool or to safety.
- If you’re new to exercise or injured, it is a fantastic full body, no impact workout to build cardiovascular and muscular strength.
- If you’re a regular exerciser, it’s a great recovery tool between hard workouts. Also, once you ‘get’ the breathing, it can be meditative and calming.
- There are some cool water based sports/activities that you might discover and be able to participate in once you’re confident in the water.
How to get FREE swimming lessons – yes, there is a catch
The Rec&Sport team have partnered with CCC, and set up a hassle free way for you to get your hands on a discounted pools membership. We call it Swim Starter.
- Head to our website and click the link to register.
- We’ll send you an email that confirms your registration with us, and your status as a UC Staff Member. You don’t have to be a member of the UC RecCentre.
- Take this email to any CCC facility to enjoy 20% off any pool membership (minimum 3mths).
- Now you’re a member of CCC pools, you can book into any Adult Swim lesson. They’re FREE with pool memberships.
It’s important to note that UC Rec&Sport has no further involvement once you’ve got yourself a membership. You’ll be booking your sessions and buying your membership with the CCC team directly.
Getting yourself a membership is great, not only for the free lessons, but also to swim frequently to learn this new skill in the best way – practicing! So, book in as many lessons in a short space of time as you can (the holidays are great for this!) You can also practice in-between lessons, or perhaps just use the sauna, steam room and spa for some relaxation!
Te Ratonga Hākinakina | UC Rec & Sport
From Friday 9 April until Friday 23 April (subject to weather), work is taking place at the Ilam Road intersection. There will be intermittent closures of Homestead Lane, the Ilam Homestead entrance and UC exit on Ilam Road. One street will always be accessible on the west side of Ilam Road at any one time.
Find everything you need to know here: 210704 UC threshold notice