CELEBRATING SVA OVER STUDENT VOLUNTEER WEEK

This week we’re celebrating our awesome volunteers for 2022 Student Volunteer Week. 

Throughout the week join us as past and present UC Student Volunteer Army (SVA) members share special moments from their time with SVA. 

Read Daniel’s story from Monday here
Read Isabella’s story from Tuesday here.
Read Alex’s Story from Wednesday here. 

Sati Ravichandiren (2018-2019)

Kia ora, my name is Sati Ravichandiren and I was a member of the Student Volunteer Army Executive in 2018 and 2019.

Being a member of the SVA Executive was a life changing experience for me. It was two years spent creating meaningful volunteering opportunities for other students and helping communities around Christchurch and the South Island.

One memory that stands out from my time on the SVA Executive was the response following the March 15 Terrorist Attack. I was the President of the SVA at the time and I remember that after the initial horror and shock of the attack, our first thought as a group was what can we do to help.

We mobilised quickly, understanding that the best thing that we could do was support those most affected by the attacks. We helped out in any way that we could, including: working closely with the UCSA and Muslim Students Association (MUSA) to create a ride service for Muslim members of the UC community to and from funerals, the hospital, vigils, and whereever else they needed to go. Helping to set up and organise the Vigil at the university; placing volunteers around the Ilam community to talk to people and help make the community seem safe and welcoming; and organising a food drop to Muslim students identified by MUSA as being in need of support.

In the end, these were just a few small actions in the context of the wider national response to the horrific March 15 Terrorist Attacks. But I will always remember the mindset of everyone at that awful time – how can we bring everyone together and help support those most in need. That mindset is at the centre of everything the SVA does and is one that I will always carry with me.

To find out more about SVA or get involved with volunteering for yourself visit here.