Respecting the rights of others in our UC community

Here at UC, we’re a community of people committed to creating a campus culture of belonging, understanding, inclusiveness and caring. Ākonga Tū, Ākonga Ora.

We all have a responsibility to respect the rights of others in our community, treat others as we would wish to be treated and think about how our actions affect others. 

We can all contribute to make our community a better place, and create a safe learning environment for everyone. This includes: 

  • not getting involved in harassment, bullying, racism, abuse, discrimination or violence in any form (this includes inappropriate gestures or comments, whether face-to-face or online)
  • taking care that your words or actions do not adversely
    affect the health and safety of any other people

Any activity that jeopardises others’ wellbeing or safety, or encourages law-breaking, is taken seriously. If you experience or witness any harassment, bullying, racism, abuse, discrimination or violence don’t be afraid to speak up about it.

How to formally raise a concern 

Here’s a step by step guide on how you can raise a concern at UC: 

  1. If you feel comfortable doing so, try to talk to the person who made the decision or whose actions have caused your concern. Alternatively, you could get in touch with the Dean, Head of Department/School, Service Unit Manager or your Class Representative
  2. Talk to the UCSA Advocacy and Welfare team or UC’s Grievance Coordinator. They can support you work towards a resolution with the person involved
  3. The next step is to lodge a formal complaint in writing with the UC Grievance Coordinator or UCSA Student Advocate. Atawhai Ākonga | Student CareUC Māori or the Pacific Development Team can support you to prepare your statement. 
  4. An investigation will then take place and you’ll be kept informed of progress. UC aims to resolve issues within four weeks
  5.  You’ll be told the outcome of the investigation, and how/why this decision was made.  You’ll also receive information about how you can appeal this decision. 

Find more information about how you can formally raise a concern here> 

How to make an informal anonymous report 

You can fill in a form anonymously on UC’s website here. Most of these questions are optional, but try to answer as many as you can. 

Where to go if you need some advice 

You can also reach out to our UC support services for help and advice if you’ve got something on your mind: 




Have a voice! Tell us what you're thinking...