Permanent alcohol ban in Riccarton-Ilam area

Did you know there is a permanent alcohol ban in the Riccarton-Ilam area?

This means you’re not allowed to consume alcohol or carry open containers of alcohol on the streets and in public spaces in the area, including Ilam Road and University Drive.

This alcohol ban is in place 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A breach of the ban is an offence and the Police will issue an infringement notice (instant fine). 

For more information, and larger map of the Riccarton-Ilam area, see the Christchurch City Council website.  

Everything you need to know about UC Libraries

Haere mai, welcome to UC! Chances are you’ll spend a fair bit of time in our libraries while you’re here, so here is all the essential info you need. 

There are three libraries on campus: 

1. Puaka-James Hight (Central) Library (PJH) for Humanities, Social Sciences, Law, Business and Economics, Education, Music and Fine Arts


2. Engineering and Physical Sciences Library (EPS) for Engineering, Forestry, Sciences and Antarctic Studies

3. Macmillan Brown Library (MB) for Cultural Heritage collections

Stuck? You can ask the experts 
Subject Librarians are available to offer referencing advice and more! 

Browse the library catalogue for everything you need 
We have textbooks, online journal articles, eBooks and more! Take a look here

Check your account online
You have an online Library account to make requests & renew your current items. 

Take a break 
Te Rua Makerspace is the place for you to take a break from study and get creative. Find out what’s going on over the next few weeks here

Find out more about UC Libraries here. 

How to raise a concern at UC

If something doesn’t feel right to you or you are unhappy with a decision, you can raise a concern. 

UC is committed to providing a teaching and learning environment that you feel comfortable in, and we have a fair and transparent process in place to help you. If you want to raise a concern, complaint or grievance, you can make a formal complaint or report it anonymously online. 

How to formally raise a concern 

Here’s a step-by-step guide on how you can raise your concern at UC: 

  1. If you feel comfortable doing so, try to talk to the person who made the decision or whose actions have caused your concern. Alternatively, you could get in touch with the Dean, Head of Department/School, Service Unit Manager or your Class Representative
  2. Talk to the UCSA Advocacy and Welfare team or UC’s Grievance Coordinator. They can support you work towards a resolution with the person involved
  3. The next step is to lodge a formal complaint in writing with the UC Grievance Coordinator or UCSA Student Advocate. Atawhai Ākonga | Student CareUC Māori or the Pacific Development Team can support you to prepare your statement. 
  4. An investigation will then take place and you’ll be kept informed of progress. UC aims to resolve issues within four weeks
  5.  You’ll be told the outcome of the investigation, and how/why this decision was made.  You’ll also receive information about how you can appeal this decision. 

Find more information about how you can formally raise a concern here> 

%d bloggers like this: