All posts by ava108

Feeling alone? Not sure who to talk to? Atawhai Ākonga | Student Care is here to help

Falling behind in your studies? Having problems with your landlord? Homesick, or feeling like it’s all a bit of a struggle? Atawhai Ākonga | Student Care is your support team. The service is free to access and available to all UC students, including off campus (distance) students.

The Student Care Advisors can talk you through your situation, help your figure out your options and work out the best way forward. 

Student Care can help with: 

  • Getting started at UC, such as finding your way around or figuring out transportation
  • Challenges and concerns, like accommodation and financial issues 
  • International student support, like understanding NZ culture and intercultural communication
  • Getting on top of things, like juggling commitments or managing the impact of mental illness 
  • Help understanding UC, like supporting you through a UC process or advice on how to appeal a decision. 
How to speak to a Student Care Advisor 

To speak to one of the team, you can book an online or phone appointment here, email, ring 03 369 3388 or drop in to see if someone is free. You can find them in the Undercroft (Puaka James Hight), just next to Kool Zone (a couple of doors down from the Uni Pharmacy).


The Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of Students is here to support you

The Code (formally known as the  Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021) supports the wellbeing and safety of all students. It covers topics like physical safety and inclusion, access to advice and support services, physical and mental health support, support for transition into and out of university study, student accommodation requirements, and having opportunities for students to have their voices heard. 

Student with disabilities still face barriers at uni, such as accessibility issues on campus or ableist attitudes from other students or members of staff.  The Code helps disabled students and their whānau to hold their university accountable, to ensure that they can access the support services they need. 

If you have any concerns about your wellbeing and safety at UC, you should discuss these in with Student CareUCSA, or UC’s Grievance Coordinator

Find out more about the Code at UC here

Make your party a ‘good one’

Be sure to have a ‘Good One’ by registering your party on the Good One Party Register

Why register your party

Hosting a party can be a bit overwhelming. By registering your party with Good One, our community Police can help you in making your party successful.

Having the Police on board means they can give you a call, provide advice, help you plan and check in on the night to ensure that everyone is safe and having a good time. Find out more about how it works here.

Benefits of registering with Good One

  1. Party knowing you are safe
  2. Police will get rid of any unwanted guests to keep the good times rolling
  3. Easy chats with Police as they know what’s up