Did you know that the UC RecCentre is right here on campus, and it’s yours to use whilst you are a student? Technically it’s not free, because your student levy pays for it, but you don’t have to hand over any more money for the basics, so that’s kind of free, right?
What does a gym membership cost?
Gyms in the area can range from $6.95 per week for a big box gym for weights and cardio only (like CityFitness) through to $60 a week or more, for a boutique class only gym (like F45) or fancy gyms like IHF. When making your decision about joining a gym, cost is usually the main consideration. The RecCentre is a gem on campus, offering both boutique style classes in our Skill X programme AND large-scale fitness classes in our group fitness programme. You can also do weights, cardio, climb walls and play sport at our place too. And it costs you nothing more to join. You just have to register ONCE during your time as a student for unlimited access.
How to join
- Register online using your student email. This will be @uclive.ac.nz if you’re undergraduate or @pg.canterbury.ac.nz if you’re a postgraduate.
- Get the app. Almost everything is booked via the app, plus you get access to free gym programmes and ondemand workouts to do at home or at the gym anytime, anywhere!
- Come down and have a look! On your first visit, we’ll take your photo and activate your student ID card (you need to bring it with you every visit – it’s how you’ll get past the gates).
- You can book a Discover the gym session via the app, for a guided tour with a small group, or try one of the other discovery sessions available if you don’t want to dive right in!
As with any tech, there are sometimes issues to get going. If you have any problems getting your membership sorted, then visit our troubleshooting page. Still no luck? Visit our team at reception and we’ll get you going. Just bring your Student ID Card and we’ll sign you in for your workout while we figure it out.
Stay on top of your wellbeing this year by finding a great balance, including some healthy exercise that you enjoy. See you soon!
Te Ratonga Hākinakina | UC Rec&Sport
Have you ever wanted to complete your first half-marathon? Or maybe run your first half in Canterbury? Maybe your goal is to get a new PB? We’ve got an excellent training programme to help you reach those goals!
Run Canterbury is an established group of UC Students, Staff and RecCentre members who share a passion for running or a goal to complete a half-marathon. Sometimes it’s hard to know how much to run or how fast to run when preparing for an event you’ve never tried before! We’re here to provide guidance and support to get you across the finish line at the Selwyn Half Marathon at King’s Birthday Weekend, 2nd June.
What does it involve?
- 2 pack runs each week (Tuesday & Thursday) where you set off together to complete the scheduled run for that day, at the pace required for your group
- Three programme levels – beginner, intermediate and advanced (and yes, you can change groups if you want to)
- Written programme detailing the other runs you’ll need to do for that week, for the programme you’re following
- Optional seminars on optimal recovery, race day nutrition and race day preparation and tips from those who’ve run many!
- Free advice – just ask your friendly and experienced pack leaders after your run every burning question about running you have.
- T-shirt for first timers
When does it begin?
- We start Monday 11th March 2024 and it goes for 14 weeks.
- It’s ok if you head home for the holidays, just follow your programme wherever you are (that’s the beauty of running)
How much does it cost?
- UC Staff/Students $100
- Everyone else $160
For all the information, head to our Run Canterbury Website. You can register online via your client portal (link on the Run Canterbury page) then make payment on your next visit to the gym.
UC Rec&Sport | Te Ratonga Hākinakina
Are you ready to give the gym a go, but not sure where to start? The RecCentre has a range of Discovery Sessions designed to help you get started at a slower and easier pace.
We are all beginners when we start
A cliche we know, but so true. You don’t learn how to do something until you actually start. Making mistakes and asking questions are a natural part of life, and that’s true at the gym too.
Step 1- Get your membership sorted.
Step 2 – Get your Rec&Sport app sorted.
Step 3 – Book in for the Discovery Sessions of your choice – they’re all located in the classes section of the app.
Discover the Gym – Includes a tour of the facility, learning the basics of using equipment and how to get the most out of the app features.
Discover Lifting – Learn the techniques of the basic lifts like squat, bench and deadlift.
Discover Group Fitness (Yoga, Spin and Skill X available Term 1)
Slower paced, we take more time to ensure you have good form and understand the fundamentals, usually in shorter class length.
Our classes are popular, so our booking system is in place to help you plan your week. Please take a few moments to show respect to others and cancel your booking in plenty of time if you can no longer make it, so that they can take your place.
We look forward to helping you start your health journey with us, whilst you study at UC.
UC Rec&Sport | Te Ratonga Hākinakina