The annual shut down of the Ilam and Dovedale boilers will happen on Monday 27 November, and affects the general heating in most buildings.
The annual shutdown is in place until March 2024 and is required to perform critical maintenance and compliance work over the summer months.
Te Ratonga Whakahaere Paenga | Facilities Management
The UC Global Competence Summer Programme is seeking enthusiastic and responsible current students to serve as a buddy / friendly face to a group of incoming students. Volunteers’ role to this programme is mainly to ensure their buddy from overseas feels welcomed, supported, and engaged at UC.
What you’ll gain:
This is a unique opportunity to expand your capability to working effectively across multi cultures and with diverse communities, build your own cultural competence, global awareness and foster meaningful connections with students overseas.
• Employability to contribute to your graduate attributes, by working with professionals cross the commercial companies and university departments
• Multi-cultural competence and confidence, by intercultural communication
• Competence of community engagement, by involving in all kinds of activities in the programme in and around the Christchurch
• Global awareness, by exposing in diverse backgrounds, different languages, and contexts.
• Enhance leadership and communication skills through active involvement in a dynamic and inclusive programme.
What is involved:
• Greet international participants upon their arrival at UC, provide a warm welcome and help participants settle into their UC accommodation.
• Accompany participants during the programme activities, ensuring they are familiar with the campus and facilities and join in with the fun (where appropriate).
• Engage in group discussions and educational sessions, health-related activities and workshops, facilitating smooth communication and understanding.
• Assist with language barriers, encourage participation and involvement in sessions.
• Accompany participants during sightseeing trips in and around Christchurch, ensuring an enjoyable and informative experience.
• Share insights into New Zealand culture, customs, and traditions, fostering a rich cultural exchange experience.
• Facilitate interactions between participants and our local community, encourage meaningful connections and friendships.
• You must be a current student or recent graduate from the University of Canterbury.
• You are interested in international education and cross-cultural interactions.
• You love communication and you are a people person.
• You’re happy to share with others of UC, Christchurch and New Zealand.
We invite you to come along and have fun with us as volunteers in the programme.
Please submit your interest here before 19 Nov 2023. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can’t miss it!
If you’re planning to study at UC in 2024, this is a friendly reminder to apply for your student loan/allowance before 16 December in MyStudyLink and then apply to enrol in myUC by 10 January 2024.